Bottling my Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
Looking for a little clarification and what not before I possibly ruin my beer.

I brewed a Quad on March 26. had an OG of 1.093. Racked it on April 17 due to time restraints and moving. I just checked it last week and it is sitting at 1.007 (91% Attenuation). I used the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. Because it has been sitting so long I figure I need to add more yeast in order for it to carb up. I don't have a kegging system yet to keg, so that is out of the question unless I wait for another month, but really wouldn't want to.

From what I found online, it seems that I should almost make a starter with DME or Priming Sugar and once it starts, pitch it into the bottling bucket and bottle with that.

Sound correct??

Thanks and cheers! :mug:

You have a few things to factor in, first you will have no residual CO2 left so you will want to carb higher than the standard calculations tell you as they account for residual CO2. So, find a priming sugar calculator, figure out how much sugar to add, add extra for the residual CO2 issue correction, and add that like you would bottling any beer. I'd use something like S-05 mixed in to give some fresh yeast to help carbonate.

What you are describing is krausening, that is if you are making a starter with yeast otherwise it is just sugar water. Anyway, if you google krausening you will find formula that allow you to calculate how much of the krausening starter to add. Basically you are calculating the remaining sugar in the krasuening starter and how much sugar needs to be added for the desired carb level (as Bensiff mentioned adjust for the lost CO2 during long secondry) aside from that adjustment the formula works it all out for you.

I'm yet to try this method, I want to try it on my next lager but that has to wait a while as I'm feeling your pain on the whole moving thing, I'm sitting down waiting for my house hold goods now after having them on the road for a month of their Hawaii to PA trip.

Other ways of adding fresh yeast to your bottling is to rehydrate yeast and add that to the bottling bucket then add your wort and about half way through adding your wort to the bucket add your boiled and cooled sugar solution. If you add the sugar to the bucket at the beginning with the yeast then you will be adding the yeast to a highly concentrated sugar solution which will stress out the yeast before they have even tried to carb your beer. Once you have wort in the bucket to dilute the priming sugar solution it will be easier on the wee-yeasties.

Clem

Back