Bottling Mead - No Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleco

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my first batch of mead and I wanted to know how most people go about it.

First of all, is it fine to use beer bottles (22 oz) with normal caps and a bottling wand? I am not looking to carb the mead, so I felt that I'd be leaving an unsatisfactory amount of oxygen in the bottle. How do you account for the bottle headspace?

One more thing, the gravity right now is 1.030. Without any extra fermentables in the bottling process, do I still need to worry about bottle bombs?

Background: I started at 1.100 with RedStar Montrachet yeast. I left it in primary until it had cleared (about 2.5-3 months) and dropped to 1.030 with no activity, then racked to secondary. Now it is crystal clear and still reads 1.030 in the secondary. The recipe was just 10 lb clover honey, water to 3.5 gallons, and the packet of yeast. No nutrients, so I think the yeast have mostly conked out.

Can I bump this? Looking to bottle tonight.

With that yeast strain, and that OG, this mead should have finished at about .990. I'm not sure why it stopped at 1.030 (lack of nutrients, probably) but I would never bottle something that wasn't finished as once you bottle you can have bottle bombs if the yeast starts up again.

It should be pretty darn sweet at 1.030, and I'd find that almost undrinkable except as a dessert mead. Does it taste terribly sweet?

Hi Yooper,

Thanks for responding. It is very sweet, but tasty :). We have some access to yeast nutrients and energizer. Would you recommend adding some to see what happens? Can you advise to how much of each and how to prepare it? Thanks!

Can anyone answer his first question about bottling?

I am interested as well (first mead is about a week into fermentation)
Thanks in advance :rockin:

Oh yes, you definitely can bottle in beer bottles. I almost feel safer doing so, as you know you won't have any oxygen transfer like you potentially can with corks.

sorry I should have been a little more clear.

How about the headspace question.

I plan on bottling my mead in a couple of grolsch bottles. If I dont carb will the oxygen in the headspace have any affect?

EDIT: really dont know why I didnt think about it.... dumb on my part. I guess if im not carbing I dont really need any headspace lol. Nevermind, carry on.

If you are going to bottle this I strongly recommend adding sulfite and sorbate to avoid bottle bombs.

Haven't bottled the batch yet. My girlfriend has the willies now and is too afraid to bottle it. I need the carboy for secondary though. Bah! I will check the gravity once more this coming weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back