Bottling Issue Very Little Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Murphy

Reaction score
I recently did a large brew, when i bottled it I had to split between different bottle types, standard 355 ml capped bottles and 500ml swing top bottles.

The 355ml bottles turned out great, perfect carbonation, the 500ml have very little carbonation, I am assuming that I left too much air space in the bottle...

Is there anything that be done to turn my beer wine into a properly carbonated beer!??

The beer is still very good, just takes some getting used to drinking it flat.

IMG_2164.jpg

Can you provide some additional info? Like what you used for priming, how it was stored, etc.? I haven't tried the 500ml swing-tops, but I had a friend have issues with those specifically. I think it was a bad top or something like that, but not 100% sure.

I bought some foreign produced flip tops and their gaskets were the culprit in anything I bottled in them. I bough a pack of grolsch style gaskets, replaced then, and everything has been fine since. I suggest looking into gasket replacement.

[Edit to add] I could kinda tell by the fact that some other flip tops were REALLY hard to close while these really didn't take much effort at all to close, telling me there was very little pressure on the gasket.

Air space is not your problem. I am an advocate of small airspace having a number of benefits, but from a priming perspective, it really doesn't make much difference. If capped bottles were good and Grolsch style bottles were not, then you are not making a decent seal in the bottle. New seals would be the first thing to look at.

I have 5 Grolsch style Bombers that I use every brew, and have not changed the seals for years (probably 50 uses without a seal change) and they carb fine. I have new seals available, but haven't had a problem so far.

Back