bottling in growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I am making a Christmas Ale to distribute to friends this year. I want to give them growlers, but I want to bottle the beer in the growler. Will a 64oz growler stand up to the carbonation period?

the other alternative is to keg it and fill the growlers fresh before I give it to them. ...but I'd much rather have them carbonate in the bottle if possible.

thoughts/techniques?

Option B (put keg-carbonated beer in growlers) is the only way to go. Growlers aren't designed to hold the forces associated with bottle conditioning and can explode, and have exploded, according to plenty of HBT members.

Definitely DO NOT carbonate in growlers if you are giving them to someone else.

I'm not here to argue with the advice. But, I don't know the physics/science.

If you have a bottle conditioned beer that ends up at 2.3 volumes of CO2, does the pressure far exceed that during conditioning? Does the pressure go way up until the CO2 is absorbed into the beer, finally stabilizing at 2.3 vols? If not, why the concern about using growlers?

You can, and I've done it, but I would not do it again. I don't trust them.

I definitely wouldn't do it as a gift! There is a chance the recipient will get more than they expected...

Filling off a keg is the best choice... or just give 22oz bombers.

Give bombers. at 22oz each, 3 would be 66 oz and you're giving a bonus 2oz. Besides, if it's a beer worth giving, perhaps they'd want to enjoy a couple of pours over a longer period of time. Not feasable in the average growler.

I don't know if it has to do with surface area, of the growler, or if it has to do with too much pressure building in the headspace... I've had properly primed growlers explode. Well, that is, I've had 1 growler explode. Primed to 2.0 units, I picked it up and the bottom of the growler blew out. I will never attempt to prime in a growler again.

It looks like your only option is finding beer in 16 oz bottles and drinking all of that beer in the next week or two, then refilling the bottles and giving out four-packs. That sucks. I'm so sorry.:ban:

YES! YOU CAN USE GROWLERS! I have used growlers many times without a problem and have had the bottom of a bottle blow out so give that logic we should only use growlers. There is a commercial Hard cider company (Blue Mountain Cider Company) near my home that sells pre-filled growlers in the store. They are the ones that gave me the idea of using growlers. Can growlers break just like bottles? Yes.
As a gift I would use the wine bottle that have the crown cap, like are used for sparkling cider.

Haha, I stirred up quite a sh*t storm a few months ago on this topic.
The scientific evidence is, bottle conditioning will result in the same maximum pressure or possibly very slightly more pressure than filling a growler with pre-carbonated beer and letting it warm to room temp.

Here's the main thread on the topic:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-i-bottle-condition-growler-420655/

Here's the "scientific" results of some experiments:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f256/pressure-gauge-mounted-bottle-cap-268151/index2.html
The most reliable experiment showed a maximum pressure of 39psi and a final pressure of 35 psi at what should have been a constant temperature.

Just to be clear: I think there's a lot more reliable, safe, and more reasonable methods to carbonate beer, but I don't think that carbonating in a growler is necessarily the "evil" that many make it out to be. Here's an exerpt from the above thread with my explanation of bottle carbing vs filling with pre-carbed beer and why the total pressures at room temp shouldn't make a difference. I think we've all seen growlers sitting out at room temp (or hotter during the summer) in gas stations, Costcos, liquor stores, etc. If these were all bombs waiting to go off, I'm sure someone in our litigious-happy society would have made a couple Million dollars off it and things would have changed.

The following explanation is my view of the question by my research, knowledge, and experience. I am NOT a scientist, and this explanation is merely the free exchange of ideas; an open debate. Please proceed at your own risk!

Pressures are NOT undefined and there is a perfect scientific explanation for what goes on during bottle conditioning. It is NOT a guess!

When Rogue sets their growlers out at Costco, the beer warms up. However, as the growler is capped, it remains a closed system. In order to contain the same Volumes of CO2 in the growler at the warmer temperature, the PSI goes up. If the growler held 2.5 volumes CO2 at serving temperature, that pressure at room temp goes up to around 30PSI. Therefore, we can safely assume that the growlers will at least hold 30PSI, since Costco would likely not take the liability of having bottle bombs sitting around their stores (or anyone else that stocks the Rogue growlers at room temp).

During BOTTLE CONDITIONING, you are still dealing with the closed system. The CO2 is produced in the beer and then DIFFUSED into the headspace. It is totally unlike keg force carbonation in which the CO2 is placed at pressure in the headspace and then diffused into the beer. The highest pressure the bottle headspace can hold is the highest pressure the beer GIVES it. Therefore, the highest pressure the headspace of the growler will be subjected to will be the final carbonation pressure (somewhere around 30PSI for 2.5 volumes at 65 degrees).

NOW- some places don't want you to leave your growlers out at room temp, because they are concerned with the pressure. However, some obviously don't care, which is why I used the Rogue example. I'm sure Rogue has enough lawyers working for them that if there was a potential liability from subjecting their growlers to 30PSI, they would change their packaging.

Back