bottling: how much airspace is ideal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizavin

Reaction score
so, I'm about 4 days after bottling into some nice 1 liter bottles (cause, lets face it... 750 ML isn't really a single serving.) and everything seems to be okay. but I was wondering while I bottled "should I be leaving less airspace in these things?"

there's about.. oh... 2 inches of airspace in them for each bottle because I didn't want to overfill them and risk having damaged plastic bottles a week after bottling.

so is this something I should even really be worried about, at all? or should I just let it ride?

1 litre, that's a decent size for a serving!

Got a pic? it's a little easier to see what it's like if I could see what bottles you're using, though I don't think it's a big issue.

The correct amount of air space is not too much and not too little. If you think you are in this range I am sure you are fine. :)

The technical term is headspace. There should be no air, it should be CO2.

You should fill you bottles with a bottling wand.
The headspace is created by the displacement of the wand when you fill the bottle to the top. Remove the wand and you have the correct headspace.

The technical term is headspace. There should be no air, it should be CO2.

You should fill you bottles with a bottling wand.
The headspace is created by the displacement of the wand when you fill the bottle to the top. Remove the wand and you have the correct headspace.

Ding ding ding!

4 posts so far in this thread before we got the correct answer. The bottling wand knows what it's doing. ;)

Ding ding ding!

4 posts so far in this thread before we got the correct answer. The bottling wand knows what it's doing. ;)

The kit I bought has the bottling wand and that just makes it the perfect way to bottle.
1. fills from the bottom of the bottle up, so as to not introduce too much oxygen (air) into the bottle.
2. as said above, fill with the wand to the bottle of the bottle. when the beer reaches to just about the top of the bottle, remove wand and voila, should be the right amount of head space left.

The bottling wand is not called a wand because it is wand-shaped. It is called a wand because it is f*cking magic, and knows exactly what it's doing. :)

Same reason my other wand is called a wand.

Ah, see what I did there? ;)

Did you know that in French, an orchard (verge) is the same as one of the slang words for a penis/wand (verge also)

....So!! If you want to say you have something growing in your orchard, you just need to be careful of your inflection.

There is your useless info for the day.:mug:

Not to make assumptions about the OP, but what if his wand is not long enough to hit the bottle of the bottle so to speak? He is dipping his wand into a larger than normal vessel after all. :)

Not to make assumptions about the OP, but what if his wand is not long enough to hit the bottle of the bottle so to speak? He is dipping his wand into a larger than normal vessel after all. :)

haha, that could be read as ALL sorts of sexual connotations.

but, no, I use a normal bit of tubing with a spigot and an auto syphon. it fills just fine. but I was more worried that there was a formula like "for every X milliliters of liquid, you should have X cubic milliliters of air" that I didn't know about and was being completely ignorant to.

Back