Bottling half of batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I plan on transferring beer from carboy to soda keg to condition for a few weeks. I would like to keg 3 gallons and bottle approximately 2 gallons. Do I bottle once I transfer to keg from carboy? Or do I wait after few weeks of conditioning?

How do I carbonate individual bottles, being I am taking beer from my keg? Is their a formula for using sugar per bottle, or should I use the carb pellets I saw on Northern brewer?

Just getting ready for first batch and these are things popping up un my head.

Thanks

I put everything in the keg. I carbonate in the keg. Once the beer is drinkable from the keg, I use the keg to fill my bottles. I do this by jamming a racking cane into my cobra/picnic tap. Keep the beer cold. Keep the bottles cold. Drop the keg pressure down. Fill the bottles slowly to keep the foam down. Try to cap on top of foam to reduce oxygen in the bottle.

yes, I saw that info earlier. I wanted to try and naturally carb the bottles. I will force carb the remaining beer in keg.

I just found tasty brew.com. I guess the best way is to move 2 gallons to bottling bucket and then use formula provided. If I want to carb a brown ale (2 gal) it state's to use .6 oz of sugar. I am just getting into this, and this site is very helpful.

I always keg half, then bottle the other half. So you keg first then rack the rest of your carboy off to your bottling bucket. When this is done, add sugar (you might want to hit "carbonation calculator" in google to find a useful tool that helps you figure out how much sugar to add) then go ahead and bottle. Works like a charm.

You can put it all in the keg. Fill bottles from keg with flat beer, use carbonation drops to carb bottles.

Back