Bottling Gingerbread Ale - Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

In a couple weeks i'll be bottling myGingerbread Ale. I have corn sugar, but wanted to throw in some molasses for extra flavor. i came across a recipe online that suggested using molasses for 1/2 of the priming solution.

usually my kits call for 3/4 cup corn sugar dissolved in water...if i were to follow the online recipe suggestion, that would be 3/8 cup corn sugar and 3/8 cups molasses.

since im new to this, i dont know if this type of mathematical approach is correct. can i skip the corn sugar altogether? will molasses affect the head? thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom.

As a guess, I would assume that molasses would have as much available sugars as malt extract, which would call for 1.25 cups, if you used all molasses. So we cut the molasses in half, or 0.675 cups (call it 2/3rds of a cup, which would be .667) and 3/8ths cup of dextrose.

About head, I have no idea. (Besides, shouldn't you leave your love life out of this? :D:D)

steve

I'd say dump the molasses in now, let it ferment out. Then add whatever known quantity of prime, at bottling. I've been adding about a cup of Molasses to my Brown Rye,at the boil, to good effect. I figure it may feed the yeast some vitamins er minerals er sumpthin, in addition to flavor.

Latest posts

Back