bottling from tap- long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
I have a couple big beers that have been sitting in kegs for a few months that im about to tap. I'd like to age a dozen bottles from each batch to hold for the holidays and see how they develop over time. Is there any harm in bottling frm the tap for long term storage? Would I be better off racking off a gallon or so and bottling that before I hit the kegs with gas?

Im always filling bottles and growlers from the tap, but they always get drunk within a few weeks. Just wondering how the long-term stability would be from the tap vs letting the bottles carbonate naturally and age on a little yeast in the bottle...

Thanks for the link. I typically just jab a short piece of tubing in my picnic tap, de-gas the keg and fill them under a couple psi of pressure. This method has worked great for filling a few bottles or growlers to go or free up a keg, but I wasn't sure just how much oxygen exposure was happening. Thus my reluctance to bottle anything for the long term. I typically dont get much foaming, but im sure the added pressure helps using the stopper method...

Thanks for the link. I typically just jab a short piece of tubing in my picnic tap, de-gas the keg and fill them under a couple psi of pressure. This method has worked great for filling a few bottles or growlers to go or free up a keg, but I wasn't sure just how much oxygen exposure was happening. Thus my reluctance to bottle anything for the long term. I typically dont get much foaming, but im sure the added pressure helps using the stopper method...

You actually want a bit of foam when bottling this way. Too much is a problem, obviously, but the commercial best practice for bottling already carbed beer is to cap on foam so as to drive out everything from the headspace.

Back