Bottling from Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantari

Reaction score
Hi all, new to brewing and have my first APA in my primary hopville . "First APA" American Pale Ale Recipe

This friday will be the week mark. I am personally gonna move to secondary this friday to clear up for a new batch.

Just a few questions to clear things up from the experienced.

Since a lot of you just bottle straight from the primary, do you ever experience problems such as sucking up large materials from the primary into the spicket?

I have my spicket mounted a little over an inch from the bottom of the bucket, was thinking it might create some turbulence which could cause the bottom precipitated materials to come through the bucket into the bottling tube into the bottles.

For those that just use a single primary, do you first transfer it to a separate bottling bucket before bottling or do it straight from the primary fermenter?

Hi all, new to brewing and have my first APA in my primary hopville . "First APA" American Pale Ale Recipe

This friday will be the week mark. I am personally gonna move to secondary this friday to clear up for a new batch.

Just a few questions to clear things up from the experienced.

Since a lot of you just bottle straight from the primary, do you ever experience problems such as sucking up large materials from the primary into the spicket?

I have my spicket mounted a little over an inch from the bottom of the bucket, was thinking it might create some turbulence which could cause the bottom precipitated materials to come through the bucket into the bottling tube into the bottles.

For those that just use a single primary, do you first transfer it to a separate bottling bucket before bottling or do it straight from the primary fermenter?

Siphon it to a bottling bucket while avoiding getting any sediment from the bottom, add the priming sugar then bottle. You don't want to add priming sugar to a primary.

You say it's been in primary for a week? I'd give it a least another week before you bottle and you don't want to bottle straight from the primary. Rack to a bottling bucket and add the priming sugar and water mixture prior to racking. It will mix the sugar as it racks. Where is Revy is this guys time of need?

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of folks on here do not bottle directly from the primary, so that may clear up some of your confusion. As already stated, bottling from the primary would stir up all the trub that was settled at the bottom of your primary when you mix in your priming sugar. Better to move it to a bottling bucket and then add your sugar and leave a majority of the trub behind in the primary.

For brews I make using my Coopers fermentor (has a spigot) I will use the spigot to drain the fermentor into my bottling bucket. Typically right before transfering to the bottling bucket I check the gravity from the spigot. Its when I am doing that where I might get some of the trub. Quick fix: Just fill up the hydrometer thingy a couple times from the spigot and the beer is then relatively clear. Then when I transfer to the bottling bucket the beer isn't getting much trub, if any.

Now before I was using a bottling bucket (was carbing with carb tabs/drops) I'd just fill bottles directly from the spigot. Those brews were definitely not as clear as the ones made when using a bottling bucket.

OK thanks all, I guess I just assumed when most said they only use a primary for fermenting, I was thinking they also meant they bottle straight from the primary.

Also, bigjohnmilford, I am not bottling it yet, moving it a secondary first for a few weeks to clear up my buckets to start a second batch.

Also, bigjohnmilford, I am not bottling it yet, moving it a secondary first for a few weeks to clear up my buckets to start a second batch.

I wouldn't bother with a secondary for an APA - they are usually fairly opaque compared to most other light-colored styles. I usually do a three-week primary with this style, checking gravities and taste testing occasionally during that period before bottling.

Back