Bottling from keg with beergun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I've been aging an Imperial Stout for about 8 months now in secondary, added some oak etc. Now I'm ready to bottle this up in 32oz swing tops for some bottle conditioning. I'm planning on using DME to prime and adding about 1/4 pack of S-05 to the priming solution to make sure there is some yeast in there.
Question is, I'd like to cut out as much oxygenation risk as possible so I'd like to bottle out of a keg using my beer gun set up. Does this sound like it can work since I'll be adding yeast..

1. Boil DME in water, cool and add yeast.
2. Dump priming solution into keg.
3. Rack RIS onto priming solution and give it a stir to mix
4. Cap off keg and hook up to gas.
5. Use the beer gun to purge bottles and fill

It seems simple enough, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something stupid here.

If you're not pressed for time, you could instead force carbonate in the keg, forgo the priming sugar, and bottle with the beer gun in a week or so. High ABV can make it a challenge to natural carb.

Roed Haus Brewery

Personally I wouldn't go to all that trouble. If you already have a keg I would put some CO2 in the keg to form a blanket. Siphon the stout into the keg and put the lid on and purge the O2 out. Force carbonate it and then bottle with your beer gun. You won't have any sludge in the bottom of the bottles and nobody will be able to tell the difference.
I used to be real anal by using original wort, (gyle) to carbonate with but even knowing the OG of the wort our results were hit and miss. Once we started kegging I found I could force carbonate in 5-7 minutes and pour a perfect beer every time. Then I did bottle from the keg with a beer gun with great results. I have placed in several competitions using this method.

I see the point in force carbing, reducing sediment etc....but if I'm looking for bottles that I can continue to age, wouldn't the lack of yeast affect this?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would say no because you have already aged it for 8 months with some amount of yeast in your secondary. My vote would be to force carb / bottle with beer gun

I've been aging an Imperial Stout for about 8 months now in secondary, added some oak etc. Now I'm ready to bottle this up in 32oz swing tops for some bottle conditioning. I'm planning on using DME to prime and adding about 1/4 pack of S-05 to the priming solution to make sure there is some yeast in there.
Question is, I'd like to cut out as much oxygenation risk as possible so I'd like to bottle out of a keg using my beer gun set up. Does this sound like it can work since I'll be adding yeast..

1. Boil DME in water, cool and add yeast.
2. Dump priming solution into keg.
3. Rack RIS onto priming solution and give it a stir to mix
4. Cap off keg and hook up to gas.
5. Use the beer gun to purge bottles and fill

It seems simple enough, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something stupid here.

I have been thinking of doing the exact same thing as you - rack my RIS onto boiled DME, carb in the keg then bottle off the keg. I mostly want to do it because I really like the head/carb that DME gives when used as a priming sugar.

So, tell me, did you try this and if so, how did it work out?

Back