Bottling from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGadvocate

Reaction score
The only time I have bottled from my keg is to transport my homebrew to a get together or a family function. Basically to share the beer that same day or at most the next day. I'm am curious to know how long the carbonation will last with unopened bottles from the keg. Has anyone stored any? And if so how long? And what was the carbonation like?

So far I have had some for a few months and seem to have good carbination as any. Watch this video if you haven't already. I have done the same for both growlers and bottles.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have bottles that are over a year old that were bottled off a carbed keg. they are just fine.

k47k said:
i have bottles that are over a year old that were bottled off a carbed keg. they are just fine.

Wow I would have thought since the beer didn't actually carb up in the bottle that the carbonation from the keg would slowly disappear. Thanks for the info!

Does bottling with a beer gun count? Those last a long time... The longest I tested with just filling bottles from the keg using a picnic tap and a bottle filler, was for a month and they lasted well.

Bottling from a beer gun or similar isn't much different than bottling done by macrobreweries. Dissolved co2 is co2, and as I long as you capture enough of it and seal it tight, I see no reason why it shouldn't last.

Back