Bottling Early...Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I've got a problem on my hands....my mother is visiting me from Missouri (I live in Colorado) and my Dad has instructed her to bring home some of my homebrew. Problem is that the beer has only been fermenting for about 10 days, only 2 in the secondary and she is supposed to be leaving tomorrow. I don't want to send her home empty handed but I have a feeling its too early to bottle. I REALLY don't want to send home bottle bombs so what can I do? The beer in question is an American Wheat that had and OG of 1.055 and is currently at 1.011. Beersmith says the FG should be 1.013.

Stef1966

Reaction score
If your FG (SG) is 1.011 i say it's pretty safe to bottle by now.

May not be the best beer you will have done since you are ahead of schedule but it will still be pretty decent.

Do your parents know anything about home brew? they are just curious to taste it or something?

I would tell them they should expect it to taste different compared to commercial beer, the stuff at the bottom is a normal and harmless thing, how to pour the beer in a glass and such.

And i would insist on them to let the bottles you will give them at room temps for at least 2 weeks or more before the crack one open to taste it.

This is just my opinion on things.

OP
Ewalk02

Ewalk02

Reaction score
They have had my beer before and liked it so this is why my Dad is requesting some more. I already told my dad to let it sit at room temp for about 2~3 weeks so hopefully it will have time to carb up.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not ideal but you should be okay. Make sure to tell your Dad to put them away for a few weeks or he will be very disappointed.