Bottling Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Ted

Reaction score
So, I bottled my Blue Moon clone last night and I hope I did not screw it up too bad. The orange peel kept clogging up the siphon and the bottling wand causing bubbles in the hose and I am afraid that I got too much sediment in to the bottling bucket (I accidentally let the siphon hit the trub at the bottom causing a lot of sediment to make it's way to the bottling bucket). anyone see problems that might occur from this or should I just RDWHAHB?

TIA!

RDWHAHB. You might get some oxidation flavors, but you might not and, if you do, you might not even notice it. (how's that for a definitive answer?)

As for the sediment, just let the bottles sit for a month and let it pack down at the bottom. Then pour carefully into a glass and enjoy your nice clear beer. Cheers!

That’s no disaster!

Imagine a situation in which your bottling bucket is on the floor being filled by your auto siphon from the fermentor. Unbenounced to you the spout on your bottling bucket sits just below the actual bucket bottom. The weight from 5gals of your first IPA causes the spout to be pushed back up through the valve and the result is a floor full of beer....

This happened to someone i know once..wink wink

That’s no disaster!

Imagine a situation in which your bottling bucket is on the floor being filled by your auto siphon from the fermentor. Unbenounced to you the spout on your bottling bucket sits just below the actual bucket bottom. The weight from 5gals of your first IPA causes the spout to be pushed back up through the valve and the result is a floor full of beer....

This happened to someone i know once..wink wink

yeah, why do they make the spout lower than the bucket? WTF?

only thing i can think of is if you add a dip tube it would keep the siphon going, but if i'm already adding a dip tube i can add a longer spout too.

and for that to even be a factor i would have to be lazy enough to not want to tip the bucket.

I do that on purpose all the time, I rub the bottom of the autosiphon against the bottom of the bucket, and let about 30 seconds to a minutes yeast come through with the beer. That way you insure there's plenty of yeast transfered across. It's especially important if you long primary like many of us do where you have a highly compacted yeast cake and extremely clear beer.

There's really no issues with doing it, and i get very little bottle sediment despite that, simce my beers are pretty sediment free to begin with.

No need to worry.

oh yeah. sorry for the rant. a little yeast coming up is not a big deal at all. i don't necessarily do it on purpose like revvy, but i definatly don't stress in the least if it happens. the yeast needs to be in there to carb, and it will settle out in the bottles. if not during bottle conditioning, then definately after a week in the fridge. think of that week in the fridge as a kind of cold crash (in addition to getting the co2 in your beer better)

I do a long primary as well. It's usually cleared to a slight haze when bottling. This last time,I tipped the fermenter a little too far & got some yeast. But in 3 weeks,it'll clear up nice,then into the fridge to clear up & compact some more.

Back