bottling directly from fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a carboy style fementer with a valve on it, could I just bottle directly from the fermenter in this case? Or would I still need to transfer it to a bottling bucket?

Thank you.

Sure, I've bottled directly from the fermenter (big mouth bubbler with spigot) before without issue. I cut a small piece of hose and connected it to the spigot then connected the hose to a bottle filling wand and used carb drops for carbonation (dont forget these). You do suck up a bit of yeast in the first couple of bottles but that will all settle out over time.

I did when I only had 1 carboy, now that I have a few - I tend to rack first then bottle.

With a valve it's easier. I would still recommend using a bottling bucket. They are cheap and easy to use.

If you want to bottle directly from the fermentor, use carb tabs, or pour sugar directly into each bottle, then fill each bottle.

Pouring sugar in each bottle can be tedious and can lead to uneven carbonation. Plus it foams up a bit when you fill. I think using a bottling bucket and a boiled sugar solution to be better in mixing the sugar evenly, and is less messy. And I think it's easier to avoid sucking up trub.

If you have a target CO2 volumes that you'd like to get, the carb tabs don't let you fine tune. With bulk priming, you can weigh out the exact amount you want.

Depending on how much trub you have at the bottom of your fermenter, you could mix a priming solution right into the fermenter. Stir it in slowly to avoid oxidizing your beer, let any stirred up trub settle out for 30-45 minutes, and bottle with a bottling wand.

This is what I do when I bottle my hefes since they don't leave more than a liter or 2 of gunk and I haven't had an issue.:mug:

Depending on how much trub you have at the bottom of your fermenter, you could mix a priming solution right into the fermenter. Stir it in slowly to avoid oxidizing your beer, let any stirred up trub settle out for 30-45 minutes, and bottle with a bottling wand.

This is what I do when I bottle my hefes since they don't leave more than a liter or 2 of gunk and I haven't had an issue.:mug:

Wouldn't the trub cake wake up when stirring?

Wouldn't the trub cake wake up when stirring?
Its doable, just need to be careful. If you let it settle you should be good to go.
I have found the carb tabs can be hit or miss. If you miss a bottle no carb.
So bucket if you are bottling or skip that step and keg (much easier):rockin:

Latest posts

Back