Bottling day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riggs1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottling a Belgian Saison. There's got to be an easier way to clean and sanitize besides using a bottle brush. 20140322_142505 (1).jpg

Well, if its the first time using the bottles, no. From here on out you can pour and then rinse really well with warm water, drip dry and store upside down.

When you are ready tobthen bottle again simply fill a sink, tub or bucket with star san mix and dunk all the bottles.

A vinator and bottle tree will also make your life much easier:)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Home Brew mobile app

Bottles with dried gunk in the bottom are a pain. I soak them in a bucket of unscented Oxyclean solution for a day. Put the bottle brush on an electric drill to clean them. Rinse with a jet washer.

Any bottles that are emptied in the house I triple rinse immediately. Then jet wash and drip dry the next day before I put them away. Bottling day is easier then. A little Starsan solution in each one shake and dump in the bucket that has the other equipment to sanitize.

They only need the brush treatment the first time. After that, rinse them as soon as they're empty and you only need to sanitize each time. Get the Vinator, it takes under 10 minutes to do all your bottles with it. The dishwasher serves as a bottling tree. I put the bottles in the silverware tray. It holds them in place and the small drips go away when I close the door.

I don't let the whole batch of bottles sit till bottling day to clean them. I clean them out in batches as I empty them. Rinse,scrub,rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry before storage. On bottling day,I have the vinator on top of the bottle tree half full of Starsan. Sanitize & onto the tree right before filling.

love my vinator and bottling tree, cut bottling time at least in 1/2

rinse & clean after pour, hung on tree until bottling day. then a quick dip in starsan + a couple pumps on the vinator, back on the tree to drain while I rack the batch into the bottling bucket.

I've never used a bottle brush and I'm thirteen batches in. The overnight soak in oxiclean to remove labels also loosens any gunk in the bottles. Then just rinse out each bottle thoroughly. When it comes time to bottle, I run them through the sanitizing cycle on my dishwasher and then also use a vinator with Star San for extra piece of mind. Never an infected bottle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Switch to kegging.
Instead of having 50 items to clean and sanitize, you only have one. :tank:
I also agree about the vinator. It makes life so much easier.

-a.

Switch to kegging.
Instead of having 50 items to clean and sanitize, you only have one. :tank:
I also agree about the vinator. It makes life so much easier.

-a.

Hoping to switch to kegging in the future. Can't afford it at the moment.

With kegging,you also have to clean all the lines,taps,pop off valves,etc. Buy co2 as well. A whole new bunch of things to clean & care for. I think bottling is less of a hassle myself.

I only bottle using my beer gun, even that can be a PITA. Not hard to clean beer lines, valves etc but it is definitely an added cost especially with the cost of kegs nowadays. I am lucky I started kegging before the used kegs started to disappear.

Back