Bottling Day - My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anti-bud

Reaction score
Alright so my beer has been fermenting for 3 weeks, i'm still seeing tiny little bubbles rising to the top of the carboy. There is no head or foam at the top. Can i bottle the beer while this is happening or do i need to wait until all avtivity has stopped? THANKS!
BTW- I'm doing an Amarillo Pale Ale from Midwest Supplies and i don't have a hyrdrometer.

Get a hydrometer, it's the only way to really tell it's done. But after three weeks, you can be pretty sure it's done if you used a regular old ale yeast. I'd go ahead and bottle.

+1 get a hydrometer. It's <$10.

But it sounds like your beer is done. The little bubbles are dissolved carbon dioxide coming out of solution, as opposed to evidence of further fermentation.

Agreed that 3 weeks was probably more than enough time, but always check with a hydrometer to be sure it didn't stall out and create potential bottle bombs.

Did it go through a primary phase? I mean did it bubble hard for a day or two at the beginning? Just curious.

The thing to do is leave it in the carboy until your new hydrometer comes in.

I just bottled my first batch after 3 weeks of fermentation. I was shocked by how clear my beer was and how much it smelled like and tasted like beer (yes, I took a small sip).

Poindexter said:
Did it go through a primary phase? I mean did it bubble hard for a day or two at the beginning? Just curious.

The thing to do is leave it in the carboy until your new hydrometer comes in.

yeah it went through a pretty heavy primary phase. about a week or so.....

RJRobb2 said:
I just bottled my first batch after 3 weeks of fermentation. I was shocked by how clear my beer was and how much it smelled like and tasted like beer (yes, I took a small sip).

I just bottled my first batch on Saturday, and I tasted mine too...it tasted pretty good actually! Mine was in the carboy for 2 weeks, so far no exploding bottles. I started a new batch an I am using a hydrometer now.

Latest posts

Back