Quantcast

Bottling Day - My first batch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

anti-bud

Reaction score
Alright so my beer has been fermenting for 3 weeks, i'm still seeing tiny little bubbles rising to the top of the carboy. There is no head or foam at the top. Can i bottle the beer while this is happening or do i need to wait until all avtivity has stopped? THANKS!
BTW- I'm doing an Amarillo Pale Ale from Midwest Supplies and i don't have a hyrdrometer.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
Get a hydrometer, it's the only way to really tell it's done. But after three weeks, you can be pretty sure it's done if you used a regular old ale yeast. I'd go ahead and bottle.

Kai

Reaction score
+1 get a hydrometer. It's <$10.

But it sounds like your beer is done. The little bubbles are dissolved carbon dioxide coming out of solution, as opposed to evidence of further fermentation.

Joker

Reaction score
Agreed that 3 weeks was probably more than enough time, but always check with a hydrometer to be sure it didn't stall out and create potential bottle bombs.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Did it go through a primary phase? I mean did it bubble hard for a day or two at the beginning? Just curious.

The thing to do is leave it in the carboy until your new hydrometer comes in.

RJRobb2

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch after 3 weeks of fermentation. I was shocked by how clear my beer was and how much it smelled like and tasted like beer (yes, I took a small sip).

OP
A

anti-bud

Reaction score
Poindexter said:
Did it go through a primary phase? I mean did it bubble hard for a day or two at the beginning? Just curious.

The thing to do is leave it in the carboy until your new hydrometer comes in.

yeah it went through a pretty heavy primary phase. about a week or so.....

surfingpl

Reaction score
RJRobb2 said:
I just bottled my first batch after 3 weeks of fermentation. I was shocked by how clear my beer was and how much it smelled like and tasted like beer (yes, I took a small sip).

I just bottled my first batch on Saturday, and I tasted mine too...it tasted pretty good actually! Mine was in the carboy for 2 weeks, so far no exploding bottles. I started a new batch an I am using a hydrometer now.