Bottling Day! How to filter dry hopping sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcancila

Reaction score
Tomorrow that's special time of the month! My second bottling day!

For my second brew I went with a Double IPA from Midwest, Hop Head Double IPA. I kept in primary for 2 weeks then racked on top of cascade hops in a muslin bag into a secondary for 2 weeks. The secondary certainly cleared up the beer however I noticed I have little flaky pieces of the hop leaves floating around that made it through the holes in the muslin bag.

So tomorrow I am going to auto-siphon to my bottling bucket and get the beer into bottles to condition.

My question: How can I filter out the small pieces of hop leaves that are floating around my fermenter?

I appreciate any tips you guys have.

Pete

I have had great luck cold crashing to get hop sediment out.

should i just stick the carboy in the fridge overnight and take it out in the morning before I bottle? Do i need to take in account any temperatures? For example. should I let the carboy come back to room temp before i bottle?

I don't have any cold crashing experience so I can't help you there.

What I have always done is secured a muslin bag over the red tip on the racking cane, it acts as a filter

should i just stick the carboy in the fridge overnight and take it out in the morning before I bottle? Do i need to take in account any temperatures? For example. should I let the carboy come back to room temp before i bottle?

I have put it in the fridge, I usually let it sit for at least 24 hours, I then bottle as usual. I don't know for sure if this is the preferred method, but is has worked for me.

I use panthose (new and sanitized). I cut one leg off and put it over the siphon tube. Works great.

I had heard that when using panty hose they could get clogged easily. I had a bunch of hop residue in my unfiltered IPA so I got a metal lint trap to create a screen oover my auto-siphon, then attached panty hose on top of that. It worked great! I was able to get every drop of the clear beer into my bottling bucket :ban:

I use panthose (new and sanitized). I cut one leg off and put it over the siphon tube. Works great.

Here here for the panty hose!!!!

Got a six pack of knee hi. I boil them for a few min then put them in some sanitizer for 5min. Cheap and simple.

Back