Bottling Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappagio

Reaction score
First time doing cider. 5 gallons pasturized cider 2.5 cups local honey. Broke my darn Hydrometer right before primary so no reading. Transfered to secondary today got a reading 1.002 checked it again - 1.002. I have read and read all the threads/websites for this and it's pulling me 19 different directions. What is a fool proof way to bottle?

If the hydrometer reading is the same, taken a couple of days apart, your fermentation is done (or at least close enough that your bottles won't explode).

As for cider questions... haven't attempted that one yet. Good luck!

Thanks man. Now I was thinking about priming with brown sugar. Anyone know approx. what amount of sugar I may need?

pappagio said:
Thanks man. Now I was thinking about priming with brown sugar. Anyone know approx. what amount of sugar I may need?

FYI...Brown sugar has molasses in it. It will add taste in addition to carbonation.

Priming with brown sugar is fine, as is priming with cane sugar, maple syrup, honey, or any other sugar.

For my cider brews I often use Turbinado, which is essentially cane sugar before they separate it into molassas and table sugar. I like to think that its more "natural" and contains alot of the nutrients and minerals present in the cane sugar. It would take a really sensitive pallet to taste the difference. I can't tell. With brown sugar you might get a mollassas taste but I suspect it will be very minor. Its something I've been meaning to try actually.

Here is a good calculator to figure out how much of which particular sugar you'll need:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Back