Bottling cider, sweet and carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93JeepYJ

Reaction score
Just brewed my first beer ( brewers best red ale) and it turned out pretty good. I now have 5 gallons of fresh apple cider in the primary and am wondering if there is a way to sweeten it when it is done but still bottle carb?

Great, what is that and will my local brew shop Cary it? Sorry I'm such a noob but I'm learning more about home brew everyday!

Great, what is that and will my local brew shop Cary it? Sorry I'm such a noob but I'm learning more about home rewind everyday!

Yes your homebrewshop will carry it, it is quite a common ingredient. It is milk sugar. And it is not fermentable by beer yeast, so that means it will stay sweet, whereas any fermentable sugar will ferment. Lactose is a main ingredient in sweet, cream or milk stouts. I use it to sweeten some beers and ciders even when I am priming them to carb, I boil it along with my regular priming sugar at bottling time.

Ok, a little google work shows about 1lb in a 5 gal batch. Does that sound good and how much sweetness will that get me, it's for my wife and she loves sweet desert wines.

Sweetened with lactose and has been in the bottles for a week with no grenades. Can't wait to try it in another week or so.

So what s the verdict on the sweetness? More, less or just right? I have a batch waiting to be bottled and was going a similar result. Anything you would do differently?
Thanks

I used 1.5lbs in 5 gallon and ended up adding 1packet of sweet n low per 16 oz bottle because the lactose just wasn't all that sweet but it did add a good thicker mouthfeel. Now I just need to figure out why only 1 out of 10 bottles is carbonated.

Back