Bottling carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaperruque

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I finished up mt IPA an let it bottle condition for 2 weeks and when I opened a couple of them i found it doesn't have enough carbonation. I primed my 5 gal with 2/3 cup of priming sugar. Is there anything i can do now or just let it be?

Thanks for the help

Most of the time,2 weeks isn't long enough. 3 weeks at 70F or a lil better is the norm for average gravity beers to carb & condition. some of mine are better at 4 weeks. then at least a week in the fridge to get plenty of co2 into solution & allow any chill haze to form & settle out.

Another beginner here...so it goes without saying that I am by no means very knowledgeable...yet.
However, I did have a carbonation issue with my first batch. So my question to you is did you stir after adding the priming sugar? I did not on my first batch and is what I'm chalking up as my issue with carbonation. With mine though, I had some that were very carbonated, and some with about zero. I even tried rousing the yeast and allowed to sit longer with no results. I even opened a few this week (were bottled July 1st) and still nothing. Just throwing that out there.

You are definitely still early though being that is has only been 2 weeks.

You guys did dissolve the priming sugar in a cup or two of boiled water first,didn't you? that's the proper way to bulk prime.

I'm assuming the OP did this...if you're asking me as well, yes i did. Just didn't stir.

I think you just have to wait it out. Might take a little patience but it beats dumping the whole lot.

Hey All,

So I finished up mt IPA an let it bottle condition for 2 weeks and when I opened a couple of them i found it doesn't have enough carbonation. I primed my 5 gal with 2/3 cup of priming sugar. Is there anything i can do now or just let it be?

Thanks for the help

I generally prime with 4-5oz (weight) of sugar. I have no idea what 2/3 cup weighs. That might be part of the problem. For now, let it sit another week or two at 70° and then a week in the fridge, that's generally fail proof.

Latest posts

Back