Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmorin

Reaction score
I am just getting back into brewing after a few years leave (getting married and having a kid) and i just picked up some used equipment recently to start brewing but i could use alittle help.

I just realized my bottling bucket has several large scratches on the inside and i am worried about bacteria, should i toss it out? Or if i sanitize right before bottling will it be fine? Thanks

I'd pick up a new one and use the old one as a sanitizing bucket for bottles and stuff.

pmorin said:
I am just getting back into brewing after a few years leave (getting married and having a kid) and i just picked up some used equipment recently to start brewing but i could use alittle help.

I just realized my bottling bucket has several large scratches on the inside and i am worried about bacteria, should i toss it out? Or if i sanitize right before bottling will it be fine? Thanks

It is highly recommended that you dont use the bucket's with scratches. However if I was in your shoes I would use it and santatize it the best I could. However Im not telling you to do that, but that is what I would do.

Thanks guys, i think i will probably just get a new one and use this for sanitizing. I am sure i will have plenty more questions. I feel like i am doing all of this for the first time again.

c.n.budz said:
for the $10 that a bottling bucket goes for, IMO it's not worth risking an entire batch of beer. Buy a new one.

buckets at my LHBS are 18 bucks and carboys are 35. I need to shop where you do.

I have been using Midwest Supplies since i have yet to find a LHBS in our area and they seem to be pretty well priced. Have you guys had any bad experiences with some of these online retailers?

I was kind of in the same situation. Both my fermenting bucket and bottle bucket had sat in garage for years. I wasn't sure if I should use them. I told the guy at LHBS . I thought for sure he'd try and sell me new buckets (which I probably would have bought) instead he said "give them a good soak in this stuff". And showed me a bag of PBW. Worked OK as far as I can tell.

I just posted this in another area of the forum.

It is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

"Why would you put anything into a bottling bucket that was not beer to be bottled?

I use other containers to clean stuff. Not the bucket I place my precious beer into before it goes to the bottle."

Back