bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
so after letting the beer sit in the secondary do you transfer into a bottling bucket or bottle directly from the secondary?

My last batch I bottled right from secondary as i didn't have another container available. Because I've got to mix in the priming sugar did I nullify the benefit of using the secondary to let is clear by stirring it back up?

the beer came out quite clear anyway but perhaps had more yeast in each bottle then otherwise.

not to concerned, just curious...

It is a WHOLE lot easier to use the bucket, but you can do it straight from the secondary. You are correct, if you stir up the carboy to mix the sugar you do defeat the clearing stage, but the flavor conditioning will still be of benefit.

I just bottled tonight. Bottling from the secondary would suck, you get trub even in the secondary and who wants more of that in your bottles?

Bottling bucket. If you put the priming sugar in the bucket before you rack the beer from secondary to the bucket it mixes in well so theres no need to stir. And you dont have to worry about the trub.

If you're forced to bottle from secondary, put the sugar in the bottles ratehr than in the secondary itself. This way you get clearer beer into the bottles but still get the sugar needed to prime and carb your batch.

Though, I'll quickly throw my support in with getting a bottling bucket, it's a godsend if you don't have one.

thanks for the good advice guys!

what i've got now are (2) 6.5 gal. buckets, one with the spout on the bottom. Got a botteling attachement which made that part super easy vs. my last attempts using a hose.

I'd like to re-use yeast cake when possible so thinking a carboy is in order. SWMBO's dad used to brew and has a few so no problem there! Just gotta sell her on 'one more thing in the house' the buckets stack nicely although pretty much always got something in one...

damn i can't wait until we can get a house. Hope the market stays down for a bit...

Bottling bucket with spigot and wand is the only way to go if you are bottling.

You just need a 5 gallon vessel for a secondary and you will be set.

I bottled straight from my secondary on my mead mostly because it was only a 1 gallon batch.

A bottling bucket is easier and isn't that expensive to obtain.

davefleck said:
thanks for the good advice guys!

what i've got now are (2) 6.5 gal. buckets, one with the spout on the bottom. Got a botteling attachement which made that part super easy vs. my last attempts using a hose.

I'd like to re-use yeast cake when possible so thinking a carboy is in order. SWMBO's dad used to brew and has a few so no problem there! Just gotta sell her on 'one more thing in the house' the buckets stack nicely although pretty much always got something in one...

damn i can't wait until we can get a house. Hope the market stays down for a bit...

You aren't kidding. I somehow managed to convince swmbo to let me dedicate the entire area under our basement stairs (which is pretty large and has a nice door) to a fermentation area. If you can get the space it's super easy to fill it up with cool fermenting stuff!

nb

Back