Bottling BUcket Spigot Goup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my bottling bucket out and was putting the spigot into sanitizer when I noticed some goup. I have it boiling right now hoping to boil the goup out. How have the rest of you done this? Why was it there (First time using). I really don't want it in my beer or is it harmless? It was like a clear jelly, Vasoline like in texture

I used mine for over 30 batches and never had any goop. I'm curious as to where the goop was located as well.

Like when I tok the spigot off the bucket you reach your finger down inside the large threads that sit inside the bucket. Shoot Now I am worried to use my bottling bucket but dunno how else to add my priming sugar as my other bucket has another batch in it. I got most of it out but I guess there is still a small film. Should I just mix the sugar with water then add a little of the mixture to each bottle and fill on top of it?

Clean and sanitize everything thoroughly, the bottle and you will likely be ok.

It sounds like whoever put the spigot into your bottling bucket added either keg lube or vaseline to make it slide in easier. It's perfectly fine. Keg lube is even designed to be food grade and completely tasteless.

I just got a new one as well. It did have some keg loob in it. errr. I think... I did buy it from an OB/GYN so who knows?

I bet thats what it is. I got most of it out by boiling. Transfering to bottling bucket now. It's taking a long time though kinda confused. I thought I remeber it took maybe 5 minutes to transfer the batch to my secondary. Oh well, Patience young grasshopper

Back