bottling bucket improvements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knowledge Seeker

Reaction score
Hey, I think it sucks to pick up the bottling bucket and tilt it and hold the bottle and spoll it all over just to get the last two or three beers filled.
Has anyone solved this issue yet?

After reading the replies and looking at some pics I realized that they had sold me the bottling bucket with the spigot drilled way high. I purchased another and drilled it myself. I used to have 10 cups left behind, but now...less than 1 (which I taste test)

Thanks All

Kegging?

Seriously, the best bet is just to get someone to help you out when bottling, especially at the end. I haven't seen anyone devise a bottling bucket that eliminates tipping yet.

I don't know if it was ever a problem for me- I just fill until it gets low and then tip the bucket for the last couple of beers. The bottling wand and spigot set up only require one hand anyway.

I guess you could put a book under one side if you wanted.

I put a book under one side. That seems to help get one or two more fills, then I just pour the rest right into a glass a drink it.

I met some guy who actually bought some type of wedge that is made to go under it and tilt the bucket...I guess he has no books.

i just wedge something in there. its never worth it to me to get the last ounces out into a bottle. If I run short of a full bottle at the end, I just drink it.

IowaStateFan said:
I didn't realize that MacGiver was Canadian.
MacGyver? Nah -- real Canadian handymen like Red Green out of Possum Lodge. Do the yanks get that down there?? If not, might be an inside joke.

"If you can't be handsome, then you might as well be handy!"

Oh, I am a tipper too. I am not sure there is a better way... :(

You could make a special bottling bucket that sits on the edge of your counter and has a spigot on the bottom.

Come to think of it, I think I saw a plastic conical in my wife's wine magazine, that would be good for bottling(among other things)

FlyGuy said:
MacGyver? Nah -- real Canadian handymen like Red Green out of Possum Lodge. Do the yanks get that down there?? If not, might be an inside joke.

Im a tipper! I LOVE the Red Green show!:ban:

I know the Red Green show, but I had to watch it in Regina to see it on cable tv! Oddly, I've seen it on U.S. tv once since then, but can't figure out what channel, or when it was!

When I bottle, I just use a big mixing bowl, upside down, with the pail sitting on top of it. Then I can gradually tilt "forward" without lifting.

+1 to just chug-a-lugging whatever's left in the bottom though.

FlyGuy said:

I watch Red Green whenever i see it aired! That show rocks! :ban:

Monitor%20Support%20Horizontals%20Edge.jpg
?

I use a bottling bucket with a spigot at the bottom and about a 4 inch piece of racking hose to connect the spigot to my bottling wand. It keeps it short enough to hold the bottle in one hand and tilt the bucket with the other and is flexible to keep the bottle upright during the fill.

Melana said:
I watch Red Green whenever i see it aired! That show rocks! :ban:

It's on here every Saturday. My kids and I LOVE Red Green. I wonder how Red Green would tilt his bottling bucket? Probably rig up a winch and pulley system to automatically tilt the bucket to the right degree.

I think Yuri should get on this....................................

I get less than 1 bottle left in my bucket before I have to tip it. I drilled the hole myself into a fermenter, and lucked out that the hex nut sits right on the bottom.

I keg...but usually place a wedge under my primary buckets before I install the blow off...that way the buckets remain completely stationary (slightly tilted) until racked to kegs;
12838-3Bucketsmall.jpg

Cheers
BeerCanuck

YooperBrew said:
It's on here every Saturday. My kids and I LOVE Red Green. I wonder how Red Green would tilt his bottling bucket? Probably rig up a winch and pulley system to automatically tilt the bucket to the right degree.

I think Yuri should get on this....................................

Red Green would use duct tape for sure.
But, not the roll.
He would make a duct tape ball and put that under the bucket.

Back