Bottling Belgians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been bottling belgians for a while. I usually keg the ales but belgians i like to age a bit more. I use a corker and a net. Works pretty good but I need special bottles for them.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with bottling belgians in normal 22oz at 3 CO2 volume. Would they withstand the pressure ?

I know that the breweries do the cork and cage thing for marketing purposes. I was wondering if a cap would do...

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a triple going right now and was planning on using 22oz bombers with caps rather than corking them.

I trust most normal capped bottles (12 and 22 oz) at 3 volumes of CO2. I've certainly bottled at that before and never had problems. From what I've seen, you can probably get away with up to about 3.5 vol in a normal bottle, but I personally wouldn't go above 3, since that's what my own experience says is reasonable and it provides a good safety margin in case of flaws. If you're really concerned, you could use European wheat bottles, which are delicious to obtain :)rockin:) and can safely hold significantly more pressure; I use them if I need to be in the 3-3.5 range, personally.

Back