Bottling Belgians without Belgian bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
Belgians have been a favorite of mine for years, but I never brewed one. Go figure? Years ago I took a break from brewing and recently got back into it. I kept all of my equipment, but recycled most of my bottles (I was kegging anyway). I must have recycled 50+ Belgian bottles that I had collected for that day when I would need them. Now I need them and only have a handful. I guess I would like to know how a dubbel or strong golden will come out if I carbonate and bottle in 12 or 22 oz. bottles, until that day when I can ramp up the co2 a little and condition in the "proper" bottle. I've started collecting again but for a few brews I won't have enough. Anyone out there brew tasty Belgians but don't stick to the bottling "rules"?? How do your Belgians come out if bottled at lower volumes of co2?

Belgian beers rank high on my list and I brew them often. This is anecdotal, however I honestly feel that the bottles conditioned with a cork and cage in a traditional 750 ml. Belgian bottle turn out better. I also bottle using 375ml Duvel and Chimay bottles as well as standard 22 and 12-ounce crown cap bottles. There's something missing for me with these. Maybe it's in my head.

In the end, the difference is pretty small and it shouldn't stop you from brewing up a good Belgian beer. Make a batch and compare for yourself. Be sure to report back with your comparison. :mug:

Definately going to brew one, probably this week. I will be making my own Belgian candi this week as well..something I always wanted to do as well. I am curious if you use sugar and if you do, do you use Belgian candi or syrup or cane sugar?

IME, you cna go up to about 3.0vol CO2 without issue in regular 12oz bottles. I make a crap ton of saisons and other belgians. Never had issues with highly carbed stuff

IME, you cna go up to about 3.0vol CO2 without issue in regular 12oz bottles. I make a crap ton of saisons and other belgians. Never had issues with highly carbed stuff

+1.

I wouldn't go much higher than 3 volumes (and when I do, I typically go cork and cage as well), but 3 volumes in a 12 oz long neck should be no problem.

You can get really high carbonation in Grolsch swing-tops. Super heavy and capable of 3+. Word of caution though - they do blow if you carb way too high. Hasn't happened to me, but a buddy bottled too soon and the bottoms blew clean off the bottles. Those swing-tops caps hold like a bugger apparently.

Thanks guys. I will try 3. I actually have a couple of cases of OLD longneck bottles that are significantly heavier than the newer bottles that we see craft brewers using. I think for batch one, I will put it in those and perhaps bottle a 6 pack in the newer bottles to see how they hold up. Good stuff. Thanks!

For saisons and other heavily carbonated stuff I use 75cl Champagne and Cava bottles and cap them with the larger 29mm crown caps. No issues this far in the 3-3.5 vol region. The bottles are obviously really heavy.

Edit: Also the dual layer PVC bottles with screw caps. They are indestructible. They hold pretty much any carbonation you might ever want.

+1. I do think larger bottles age better, but that could be in my head, never did anything blind. I prefer champagne, them bombers, but have used 12s without issues. I like them carbed around 3, plenty fizzy.

Anyone have recommendations for the corker? I am shying away from the handheld model. The portuguese floor model can be bought on eBay for $67 and looks sturdier for corking. What do you guys use??

I brew a lot of Belgians and Saisons and this is the corker I use.

image.jpg

Back