Bottling Belgian Blonde for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Last week, I chose to brew a Belgian Blonde for a competition in mid October. It should turn out to be around 7% (OG 1.064). Fermentation is nearing completion and temp is ramped up to 74F. Normally for competitions, I force carb and bottle a few with a beer gun. This is my first time dabbling into Belgians and I didn't completely think this through. I want to keg it and then bottle 6-12 or so for competitions/storing. I can think of a few options but would like guidance with those familiar brewing this style. The competition requires 10-12 oz bottles.

1) Force carb to 2.5 volumes and bottle with beer gun in standard bottles.

2) Rack to keg, bottle with beer gun before carbonating, add sugar (weighed in grams and in individual dixie cups per bottle) to bottle via funnel and cap. Target 2.8-3 volumes and use swing top bottles.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

I would force carb and bottle with the beer gun. Are swing top bottles allowed in the contest? What is the purpose of using them if you bottle carb? Just curious.

I would force carb and bottle with the beer gun. Are swing top bottles allowed in the contest? What is the purpose of using them if you bottle carb? Just curious.

I was under the assumption that the swing top were heftier. Standard bottles aren't supposed to handle anything over 2.5 volumes of CO2.

Go buy a few 4 packs of Belgian beers and enjoy them. Then bottle condition your beer in those bottles at 3 volumes

Rules do allow swing top. As for bottling in commercial Belgian beers, most of those bottles are embossed. The rules say those are allowed but discouraged. Hmm.

Go buy a few 4 packs of Belgian beers and enjoy them. Then bottle condition your beer in those bottles at 3 volumes

Just make sure you have the right size bell for your capper and the right size cap. I think the Belgian bottles are 29 mm and regular bottles are 26 mm. Most of the big online stores sell the bells and caps.

Back