bottling before fermenting down completely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berritt

Reaction score
My last 2 batches have been fermenting since 1/26. I measured gravity today and the honey one went from 1.080 to 1.020, and the maple one 1.070 to 1.015. They are delicious, slightly sweet and have perfect fizz.

Could I bottle now? If I do, would I have to stovetop pasturize? If I wanted them just a wee bit fizzier could I let them ferment in the bottles for a short time?

or should I just be patient, and let them ferment longer, and bottle carb by adding sugar? I'm fine with dry cider, too. But it really tastes good right now.

You absolutely could bottle them now.

If you pasteurize them now, they will taste virtually the same (some sediments on bottom of bottle though). If you pasteurize them after a little bit of time, they won't be the same taste (as some of the sugar has been fermented), you also wouldn't know the precise alcohol reading unless you took another gravity reading after you pasteurize.

Which yeast did you use as well? They should be around 7.8-8.0% ABV already, if it was Wyeast 4766 (looking at your signature), it will tolerate up to about 12% ABV, so you are fine.

Thank you! I think I'll just bottle them tomorrow. They really taste perfect right at this exact moment. :)

If you bottle them without pasteurizing you have bottle bomb potential. The yeast will stay active and the pressure will build.

There is a recipe on here for 5 day cider done this way. I cold crashed mine and kept cold after a day and a half bottle carbing.

Sent from my MB886 using Home Brew mobile app

Back