bottling beer still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
well since you can't use the word "still" in the search bar I'm having trouble finding any information on this topic.

Anyway, I have a a batch of 10% RIS aging at the moment and I don't have a keg set up quite yet so I will be bottling this sucker. It spent a month sitting on primary and then 2 months in secondary so what's left of the yeast I'm sure is pretty spent. I was wondering if anyone has ever bottled a big stout still before or if anyone thought that would be a bad idea.

I would guess that there may be some oxidation issues but would that just add some depth or sherry notes. especially since one gallon of three will be bourbon barreled.

From what I have read in other threads is that if you are worried about the yeast you can always pitch new yeast before you bottle. I assume you don't actually want flat beer correct? Which yeast did you pitch initially? Even only being 3 months out you may still be able to carb with the current yeast. I'm not a yeast expert so i suggest getting others opinions first.

Likewise you should do a search for bottling high gravity beer. That may turn up fruitful results. Or about re-pitching yeast before bottling. You may be able to find an answer that way.

I unfortunately do not have experience with this myself but hopefully can get you pointed in the right direction.

Plenty of people bottle big beers, it's fine. Especially for a beer that you're going to want to lay down for a few years. Oxidation shouldn't be more of a concern for this beer, unless you're changing your bottling routine?

Adding fresh yeast to the bottling bucket is a good idea. Don't be surprised if it still takes 6 months to carb up.

If you're going to be making these types of beers often you might as well invest in a keg setup now :tank:

Adding yeast at bottling is a good method, especially with beers that have sat for awhile and you're worried about the overall health/quantity of the remaining yeast. You can pitch in the same type of yeast you used before, or just a pack of something very neutral such as S-05 or Danstar makes a Cask and Bottle Conditioning yeast just for this kind of thing. Still as others mentioned, whether you pitch more yeast or not it's going to take them awhile to carb up.

As for oxidation, the benefit of pitching more yeast is during their refermentation they're going to scavenge most of the oxygen you may have picked up during packaging.

If you're going to be making these types of beers often you might as well invest in a keg setup now :tank:

it's on the list. oh lord is it on the list.

but I think for now I may just repitch some yeast.

Pitch more yeast, use rehydrated dry yeast, as what you bottle with will have extremely minimal flavor or other impact.

I prefer bottling big beers, then you can save some and taste them over time. This doesn't typically happen with kegged beer.

Back