Bottling beer from a keg? Crazy idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
Guys, I'm faced with a not so terrible problem. My 40th bday party is tomorrow, and I just HAD to have a keg of Speakeasy Double Daddy Imperial IPA. I ordered a 5 gallon keg, and then they cancelled it on me. Turns out they only have 15.5 half barrels. So...I got one!

Now I have a week to drink 15.5 gallons of 9.5% IIPA. In the OFF chance that me and my friends can't manage this, what about this crazy idea?

Is it feasible or worthwhile to bottle beer from a keg? I know it's already carbed/conditioned, but I'm wondering if I can sanitize everything and bottle some. Crazy? Stupid? Illegal?

Thanks,

Ron

If you serve on CO2, there's no rush.

If you're pumping airthrough a cheap keg tap, then yeah, you got a problem.

I wouldn't bottle beer pushed with ordinary air...too much risk of cardboardbrau.

Go to a brewing store and get some supplies if you don't already have:
A co2 source (tank or handheld co2 injector) and connectors and hoses to dispense beer while serving and bottling.
Also check out the post "we don't need no stinking beer gun" get a hose, picnic tap, racking cane and stopper with hole to do a counterpressure filler.
Bottle to your hearts content. They'll stay good for a while.

Back