Bottling at 1.020 FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
Hi, I have been fermenting my first attempt at beer for just under three weeks now. It is a Honey Pale Ale and the recipe can be found at this link. It was in the primary for a week and now has been in the secondary for about 2 weeks. OG was 1.050, the gravity going into the secondary was 1.020 and I just took a sample today and it is still 1.020.

My question is, can I bottle at this point or did the yeast give up? I am bottling into 750ml champagne bottles with 29mm crowns so they can take some pressure. Also how much sucrose should I add to a 3 gallon batch for carbonation?

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Daniel's Home Brew Blog

Is it honey, or honey malt?

If its got honey, theres no way it done at 1.020.

The ingredients were 2lbs pale malt, 2lbs honey malt, 1lb pale DME & 1lb honey in a 3 gallon batch. Gravity has definitely not moved for just under 2 weeks.

The ingredients were 2lbs pale malt, 2lbs honey malt, 1lb pale DME & 1lb honey in a 3 gallon batch. Gravity has definitely not moved for just under 2 weeks.

I'm not all that up on honey malt, but I think its along the lines of a crystal. IF it is, its going to drive up FG because its got a lot of dextrines and such, but the actual honey will ferment pretty much completely,and should bring down FG (because alchy is lighter than water).

What temp are you fermenting at?

I'm not all that up on honey malt, but I think its along the lines of a crystal. IF it is, its going to drive up FG because its got a lot of dextrines and such, but the actual honey will ferment pretty much completely,and should bring down FG (because alchy is lighter than water).

What temp are you fermenting at?

It is fermenting is the broom closet in the middle of the house, the temp is quite stable at about 70f. The yeast is Safbrew T-58 and fermentation was quite violent for the first three days and then slowed to a crawl after the 7th day.

I'm no expert on honey infused beer, so I'm not going to comment too specifically.

BUT, I had a stout that gut stuck at 1.020. I repitched, I moved it to a warmer spot, I gently stirred and all the rest and the thing didn't drop more than a point or so. I went ahead and bottled it. After a month of conditioning, I sampled the stout and was excited when the malty flavor fist hit my tongue, however, my excitement was then crushed by the watery mouthfeel of a stout with only 3% alcohol. In the end, this beer was undrinkable and dumped/used for bread making.

Back