Bottling Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
Can Apfelwein be bottled in the plastic apple juice containers that the juice comes in? It just seems like it would be far more convenient than glass bottles seeing as we don't drink them out of the bottles but rathe rpour them in large glass beer mugs and my wife and I each have around 3 or so bottles when we decide to drink it which would be enough to empty out one of those 64 oz. plastic bottles so maintaining carbonation wouldn't be a problem. The only question is if the plastic bottles can take the pressure from the carbonation process without exploding. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks guys!!!

I would be very careful when bottling carbed apfelwein in plastic containers. Some plastic containers such as 2 liter bottles for soda might do the trick however you might want to store them in a refridgerater after they get hard. I bottled my apfelwein in 1 liter swing top bottles just for the fact that I wanted to make sure these bad boys can age at room temp. Depending on how carbed you want it, the stronger bottle you want to keep it in. I used carb drops in mine and after 1 month just slightly carbed but after 2 months in bottles the lid shoots off like a champagne cork when opened and is carbed just like champange.

Heres a pic of what it looks like. ------> Warren Carter's Photos | Facebook

Hope this answers your question

I would be very careful when bottling carbed apfelwein in plastic containers. Some plastic containers such as 2 liter bottles for soda might do the trick however you might want to store them in a refridgerater after they get hard. I bottled my apfelwein in 1 liter swing top bottles just for the fact that I wanted to make sure these bad boys can age at room temp. Depending on how carbed you want it, the stronger bottle you want to keep it in. I used carb drops in mine and after 1 month just slightly carbed but after 2 months in bottles the lid shoots off like a champagne cork when opened and is carbed just like champange.

Heres a pic of what it looks like. ------> Warren Carter's Photos | Facebook

Hope this answers your question

How much priming sugar did you use?

How much priming sugar did you use?

I used coopers carb drops. For a liter i calculated it to about 3 tabs per bottle but i added an extra tab so total 4 per bottle, plus i didnt degas my apfelwein so there was also some co2 left over from fermentation.

Im sad cause now I have none left and the wifey wont let me brew any apfelwein till the temps go down so I can control he rhino farts. Oh wel, at least I still have a stout and a christmas ale going.:(

Im sad cause now I have none left and the wifey wont let me brew any apfelwein till the temps go down so I can control he rhino farts. Oh wel, at least I still have a stout and a christmas ale going.:(

Hang a car freshener around the neck of the carboy? :fro:

Back