Bottling and sugar for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
OK so I found a few calculators online so I know the amount of sugar to add for my brew. I had a few people tell me different things though so I want to get everyone’s opinion on this. Sugars can have yeast on them so you want to boil them with a little water and make a simple syrup to add before bottling. However the calculators go off of The entire batch size and not just an individual bottle. A couple people told me that I should add the sugar directly to the bottle in order to not chance getting oxidation happening from adding to a bottling bucket. I can’t add directly to the fermenter or I would stir up all the junk at the bottom and I don’t want that in my bottles.
So I really only have two options, one is try to measure out the right amount of sugar per bottle after turning the batch size sugar measurement into a syrup, which I am not sure is possible. It says 2.8 grams Per bottle when measuring out the bottle size with the calculator And I can only measure a single gram, not half grams or tenth grams. So even if I hit 3 grams, I will be over what the recommendation is for carbonation. So that’s a tough thing to calculate just right and I could end up with either flat beer or bottle bombs. Also the time consumption of this would be crazy. Granted this is my first batch and it’s only a 1 gallon size. So not bad, but I do wanna step up to larger batches and want to try and master all the techniques before moving up to 3 gallon or 5 gallon batches.

The 2nd option is to add to a fermenting bucket this seems the easiest and most precise for measurement. The calculator told me 14.98 grams so I figure I hit the 15 mark and each bottle might be .1 or .2 off, which should not be much of a problem (I hope)? However many people have now told me there are added concerns to this. Seems like it’s the same rule of thinking with doing a 2ndary fermenting vessel. Transferring to a fermentation bucket could add oxygen or risk contamination. But it does seem like the most precise and easiest option.

Ok so what would help me is if someone could tell me how to measure out the correct amount of sugar in a syrup form to add to a bottle when I’ll get 5-6 (16 oz) bottles out of my batch and it requires roughly 15 grams of sugar for the whole batch. Just seems tough to calculate but if you have any tips... or if you could tell me the best way to transfer to a separate bottling container (I’ve got a bottling wand and auto siphon) and I’ve got another 1 gallon glass jug (same thing I’m fermenting in) that I planed I’m transferring the beer into to add sugar to. Then siphon it out of that bucket and into the bottles... that was my plan, if you have a better option let me know. Also if the technique is different for a 1 gallon batch than a 5 gallon let me know also what you do for a 5gallon batch. I do plan on upgrading soon after I have a few brews under my belt.

And I can only measure a single gram, not half grams or tenth grams.

Scales that weighs in .01 gram increments are available for $15-ish.

Granted this is my first batch and it’s only a 1 gallon size. So not bad, but I do wanna step up to larger batches and want to try and master all the techniques before moving up to 3 gallon or 5 gallon batches.

As I mentioned in another topic:
here are a couple of ways to add sugar to individual bottles (without a bottling bucket).
  • carbonation drops / tablets
  • measure sugar for each bottle (works for small batches)
  • Domino sugar dots (if you can find them in the right size)
  • create a syrup, use an "eye dropper" / pipette to add the syrup to each bottle

Yes I saw that, thanks! I’ll try all these methods.. And boy I’ll have to buy another scale. Lol! I was hoping to get away with the kitchen scale we already have. I’ll be asking the wife now. Wish flower shops were open, would give me a better chance of a yes answer. Hahaha!

Try a wild flower bouquet. The thought that counts, right. I'm still a noob, but a good scale is a definite need.

I did the same with my first batch of melomel. Just auto-siphon to the other sterilized container, mix in sugar or syrup, siphon it to bottles or bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back