Bottling and serving a cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in the cider or mead forum... maybe both?

I will have a 10% ABV cyser to bottle soon, and I can't decide on how to bottle and present it. That's sorta half way between a cider and a mead or wine.

Trying to decide between sparkling and cold in beer bottles, or still and room temp in wine bottles. It seems that a 10% beverage would be best served in a wine glass, not swaggled like a beer or cider. So, I'm curious how you guys bottle and serve your cysers.

Sparkling, petillant, still... and in what bottles?

Not sure if this belongs in the cider or mead forum... maybe both?

I will have a 10% ABV cyser to bottle soon, and I can't decide on how to bottle and present it. That's sorta half way between a cider and a mead or wine.

Trying to decide between sparkling and cold in beer bottles, or still and room temp in wine bottles. It seems that a 10% beverage would be best served in a wine glass, not swaggled like a beer or cider. So, I'm curious how you guys bottle and serve your cysers.

Sparkling, petillant, still... and in what bottles?

I would go with still in wine bottles. It is mead.:D

I bought a commercial cyzer at a meadery. It was less than 10% ABV and sparkling. So I drank it cold and it was great. Started a lower ABV cyzer I plan to carb. Started a higher cyzer with berries. I plan to bottle that in wine bottles, still.

Personal preference only, but anything 10% or higher I like to make still. Depending on the size of the batch I'll do some wine bottles and a few clear "show" beer bottle sized. If you find a great recipe for a strong brew I also recommend getting mini clear champagne bottles and giving them as gifts. I do this around the holidays along with a couple of bottles of regular cider.

You could carb half and leave the other half still provided no back-sweetening has been done, then see what you like better. I did that with a sou cider I made. (like the carbed one way more).

With the two cysers that I've done I didn't carb them and they are quite nice still in wine glasses, either room temperature or chilled like a white wine.

I'm at a point where I need to decide what to do with this batch. It's been sitting on oak for 3 weeks and it's time to rack it once more - and to take a taste and see what I've got. I know it'll be too dry for my tastes so I need to decide on what to sweeten it with.

I'm thinking that if it comes across as cider then I'll sweeten it with FAJC and keg it. If it tastes like mead then I'll use honey and bottle it still. It's only a gallon, I'll need some 350 ml bottles I think.

This cyser has cleared superbly, I'm excited to take a taste...

25305027643_8357bf7e7d_z.jpg

Back