Bottling and Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acemannw

Reaction score
I am getting some fine sediment in all of my bottles. What sucks is all my cider has cold crashed to be very clear. The bottom sediment kicks up and starts clouding up my poured cider. Does anyone have any ideas I could try to get rid of the sediment?

I typically ferment fro 7-12 days then move it to a secondary for another 7-12 days depending on my schedule and how it has tasted.

Bottle carbed? Or bottles from a keg? If bottle carbed, sorry then that's par for the course. No yeast, no carb.

If it's still the do what Yooper says and don't bottle until it hasn't dropped any lees in sixty days

The only way to truly be sediment free is to filter it out.

I am getting some fine sediment in all of my bottles. What sucks is all my cider has cold crashed to be very clear. The bottom sediment kicks up and starts clouding up my poured cider. Does anyone have any ideas I could try to get rid of the sediment?

I typically ferment fro 7-12 days then move it to a secondary for another 7-12 days depending on my schedule and how it has tasted.

If you want to get rid of the sediment then you need to leave the cider in the secondary for longer, months even. You can ask Yooper about the time as she hates sediment.

The only way to truly be sediment free is to filter it out.

No, not really. I make wine as well, and I don't filter either. The only time I get sediment is if I rush something to the bottle.

I have a cider in the carboy now that I made in October 2013. It's been sediment free for a long time, I just haven't bothered to bottle it yet. But, I have about 10 carboys full of apple wine and cider and others so I just bottle or keg when I feel like it. Luckily, winemaking is a procrastinator's best hobby.

The reason for sediment in this case is simply that the sediment is still dropping, even if the cider appears clear. I never bottle until the cider has gone at least 60 days without dropping ANY sediment at all in a new vessel.

It depends on yeast strain also. A yeast strain like S04 seems to fall out pretty quickly, while some wine yeast strains take much longer.

Back