bottling and racking problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftyMick82

Reaction score
I have brewed two half batches and both have come out a little funky. I was given the advice to carbonate my brew with dextrose, so I bought some. I used it in my first batch and second and I can't seem to get it right. Can someone please give me a measurement tool or a better way to add the dextrose to the fermented beer so I do have to spoon out a measured amount of dextrose to each individual bottle.

Depends on the style your going for
Here is the link to an online priming calculator
http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html

When bottle priming I usually just go with 1oz by weight of dextrose per gallon of beer.

Afterthought.
Just dissolve it in a cup of water add it to your bottling bucket. Then rack your beer on top of it to mix it in then bottle. It's easier than doing bottle by bottle.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I've always used a calculator on my phone called "homebrew calculator" Basically, you pick a style of beer and it tells you a range of c02 volume you can do to meet that style of beer. I usually do 2.2-2.3 vol c02 for IPA's, pale ale, wheat beers, etc. and a lower 1.9-2.1 c02 vol for stouts and darker beers.

I've always just used sucrose (table sugar) dissolved in a pint (16 oz) of boiling water. I then cool down the sugar water solution to about 75 degrees and pitch it in the bottom of my bottling bucket then rack the beer on top of it and bottle. I've never had any carbonation issues using this method. I've even been able to carb up a 9.2% bourbon strong ale, aged for months, using this method with no issues.

Back