bottling after secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_el_Paseo

Reaction score
Hi.

Ive brewed up about 8 batches so im starting to get into more complex and better beers. Ive just brewed up my first partial brew ! a very good red ale! Ive bottled half the batch after primary fermentation (added priming sugar of course).
And kept the other half in a sealed up (with airlock), Secondary fermentor. I know that the secondary will get rid of all the dead yeast. So im just wondering. When i bottle after a 2 week secondary, will there still be live yeast to use the priming sugar and make bubbles ?
If yes, since there will be less, will it take longer ?

Thanks for your help !:mug:

There will still be plenty of yeast left for carbonation in the bottles. After such a short time, I wouldn't worry about it taking much longer.

How much headspace to you have in the secondary with just half the batch in there?

If you do use a secondary (most here, including me, hardly ever do), you want to have as little headspace as possible so as to avoid oxidation of your brew. Oxidation= stale, wet cardboard taste.

If you're looking at a half-full secondary, don't let it sit there any longer. Prime and bottle it ASAP.

Guldtuborg. Thanks for the answer. Now im confident my very tasty red ale will have bubbles :)

Bigfloyd, dont worry, id barely left any head space. My secondary fermentor is a small 9 liter.beer barrel that i dont use. I filled it all the way to the cap. So there is barely any headspace for contact with oxygen.
Its dark brown so light doesnt get through, and it keep it in a cool (about 22 degrees celsius) and dark place.
But thanks for the advise, nobody wants cardboard beer !

Bigfloyd, dont worry, id barely left any head space. My secondary fermentor is a small 9 liter.beer barrel that i dont use. I filled it all the way to the cap. So there is barely any headspace for contact with oxygen.
Its dark brown so light doesnt get through, and it keep it in a cool (about 22 degrees celsius) and dark place.
But thanks for the advise, nobody wants cardboard beer !

Good to hear. Just looking out for our brewing friends north of the border. :mug:

Latest posts

Back