Bottling after cold conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
Have a question about cold conditioning and using priming sugar to carbonize beer.

I did an double ipa and after primary then transferred into a keg. I left it in my fermentation chamber at 67 degrees for about a week before I needed it and placed it in my fridge to cold condition. Its been a four weeks now and im getting ready to bottle and im concerned that I have not only put the yeast to sleep i fear that i will not have enough to use priming sugar to carbonate it.

Does anyone think or have done this, warm the keg up to room temp, add priming sugar then bottle?

Thanks

I cold condition then bottle condition all the time without issues, however most of my beers are in the 4-6% range. For a dipa, you might consider adding some champagne yeast at bottling.

I will, it's a process that I really haven't done before I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do the same. All my beers are cold conditioned first, then I bottle and leave them inside at room temp. Usually carbonated in a week or so. Never had a problem.

Depending on the ABV of your brew, I second the recommendation on the champagne yeast.

Cold crashing/conditioning won't cause you to lack enough yeast to bottle carbonate.

If the ABV of your DIPA was so high that it was beyond the ale yeast strain's tolerance, then you would want to add a very small amount, about 20% of packet of new dry yeast. Otherwise, what's already in there will do the job just fine.

Why don't you carbonate it in the keg? Am I missing something? Or your just cold crashing a carboy? I'm confused!

Normally I wouldn't worry about it cause I can do it in a keg however, I don't have a beer gun to fill bottles so I plan on adding priming sugar to it and bottle with little co2 pressure. I didn't have enough bottles to keg when I racked it to begin with. So it's been sitting in cold storage to be able to collect enough bottles to bottle. Also, this is a buddy of mines batch I did for him just cause I've never done a DIPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back