Bottling: Adding more priming sugar after the fact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to add more priming sugar to a bottle say a few weeks after the fact? I know this can be done by cooling the bottle and adding the sugar in solution. In fact I did it by dissolving 1/4 tsp per ml for a total of 2 tsp in 8ml of water and burst heating it in the microwave to sterilize. I then added 1 ml to each bottle. It went fine and did not add an appreciable volume.

I'm wondering how effective it is and how long it takes to carbonate the additional sugar? Will there be any issues going this route?

Obviously I'm doing this because I didn't add enough to begin with due to a calculation error.

I did something like that when I had a capper problem, leaking the pressure out. Just added plain granulated sugar. It foamed up some, but I capped quickly. It worked fine, but I don't know the actual time it took to carb up - just refrigerated after 3 weeks and it was fine. If I was to do it again, I'd make a syrup as you did.

I did something like that when I had a capper problem, leaking the pressure out. Just added plain granulated sugar. It foamed up some, but I capped quickly. It worked fine, but I don't know the actual time it took to carb up - just refrigerated after 3 weeks and it was fine. If I was to do it again, I'd make a syrup as you did.

I tried adding sugar directly to the bottle at ~60F initially... Only took 1 bottle to determine that was a mistake. Big mess.

Back