bottling a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
next weekend i will be bottling my pre- prohibition american lager(fathers moustache)
it has been sitting in my ice box at 40 degress for the past 6 weeks.
would it be a good idea to let it warm to room temp for a day before adding the priming sugar so it mixes better?:confused:

Yes, that what you have to do.

Even though your priming sugar will be dissolved and sanitized from boiling the water it's difficult to mix hot and cold solutions. Have you ever added sugar to cold ice tea? It falls right to the bottom.

Besides, once you add the priming sugar and mix it in with the beer you have to leave it in a warm place (bottled) for a week or so to condition. Once the beer hits the carbonation level you desire then you lager it again in the cold.:D

thanks for the quick reply
i didn't realize i have to lager again after bottling:(
i was hoping this would be ready to drink after the 2 week carbonation period

It will be.

I cold fermented my Oktoberfest in the secondary for about 2 months. It's building up the carb level now. When it's about right I'll be refridgerating it until September. I can hear it now...Ommpah, Ommpah...:D

rod said:
thanks for the quick reply
i didn't realize i have to lager again after bottling:(
i was hoping this would be ready to drink after the 2 week carbonation period

There's no reason that you can't start drinking this batch after the two weeks. But, it sure wouldn't hurt to store the rest of the batch in the fridge. I keep all my beers at cellar temperature or lower.

rod said:
it has been sitting in my ice box at 40 degress for the past 6 weeks.
would it be a good idea to let it warm to room temp for a day before adding the priming sugar so it mixes better?:confused:

Yes, warming up will help, but I would also add some fresh yeast (maybe even a Kraeusen starter or a WYeast smack pack) to the beer. This will make the carbonation more predictable because I'm not sure how much yeast is still in suspension in this beer.

Kai

the last few beers i have been adding re-hydrated lavlin ec1118(about 1/3 pack) at bottling to make sure of carbonation.
its probably not necessary on most beers, but it seems to help on lagers and high gravity brews.
thanks again

Back