Bottling a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I have had a brew lagering since August 28th and am going to bottle it. It is sitting at about 3C. Do I need to let it come to room temperature slowly? Is there a temperature increase process i should follow?

You can bottle it cold, no problem. I'd add 1/3 package of dry yeast (nottingham or S05 is good) to the cooled priming solution and rack the beer into it. It can warm up in the bottle, and it's fine to bottle while it's still cold. I like to use about 1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon for most of my lagers, to have them pretty well carbed (but not overly so).

I guess I didn't pay enough attention or the temperature control isn't good enough. When I took the thermo tube out of the beer it seems like it has separated somewhat and the top is slushy. It probably happened when I took all of the non lager beers out and there wasn't any other heat producing elements other then what was on this fermentor. The heat tape is around the middle of a 3 gallon better bottle, I guess it couldn't keep up with the freezer at the top.

Any suggestions?

Back