Bottling a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smmcdermott

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest back in May and have had it at 38 degrees since at least June 1. I am going to bottle this on Sunday and the last lager i brewed i added a half packet of US-05 to the bottling bucket but have read that isnt necessary. Do i need to add some yeast or should i be fine without it?

If i dont need to add any, is two weeks in the bottle enough to get carbed?

Saflager, and I forget the numbers, and but it was the one that came with the northern brewer oktoberfest kit

I've never used the yeast you did, but I've never had to add more yeast when bottling my lagers. Some have been lagered at 32 degrees and still sufficiently carbed after two weeks bottle conditioning, though not quite ready to drink.

I'm on my first lager. I'll be bottling it in late Sept/early Oct and I don't plan on adding any extra yeast. I'm given to understand the amount of yeast left in suspension for a lager is comparable to that of an ale. I do agree that adding the yeast is easy insurance, so if it makes you feel safer, go ahead and add it. It certainly won't hurt anything. Also, I've heard some say that lagers take a week so longer to carb properly regardless of if you add yeast at bottling or not. Hope this helps.

Back