Bottling a brew that needed bottled months ago. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Ok, so I got really busy this last fall and never found the time to bottle a strong ale I started fermenting in late August. The airlock has been kept in good order this whole time and, although I haven't opened it to look, I expect the beer is simply waiting for me to do my thing.

In anticipation for dealing with my neglect of this brew, I am increasing the bottling sugar amount to try to compensate for the lost CO2 that would normaly be in solution. I am also considering adding some yeast to provide a little bit of extra yeast for carbing. I'm assuming I may not have much viable yeast left in solution.

I'll be bottling 5 gallons of beer. I've already put 5.4 ounces of dextros in solution as my priming sugar and I'm considering adding some Nottingham yeast to this solution prior to adding all of it to the bottling bucket. Why Nottingham? Because I have one pack of it left in the freezer and I'm not a big fan of this yeast as primary fermentation yeast. Use up what you have, that is what I'm thinking. Plus, it's a beast of a yeast and seems to be pretty tolerant of alcohol.

But, what say you? I do have some wine yeast sitting in the freezer. But I'm afraid it will get all freaky on me and make bottle bombs.

EDIT: Ok, I don't know what the FG is. I haven't taken a measurement yet. I haven't opened up the fermentation vessel since I pitched the yeast in late August. I do know the OG was 1.081 for whatever that is worth. Possibly nothing until I know the FG. I'll update tomorrow when I get started on this.

EDIT EDIT: I pitched 2 packs of US-05 back in August

Last edited:
Assuming your beer has fully fermented and you use the correct amount of sugar, you shouldn't get bottle bombs. I'd go ahead and bottle using the Nottingham. I think you're beer will turn out OK.

be careful using different yeast on bottling day. especially if youre using a lot of priming sugar already. if the notty can ferment some of the maltose that your primary yeast couldn't along with "extra" priming sugar you might just have a problem. it'll all depend on the attenuation of the primary yeast and notty's attenuation potential.

I would bottle with one packet of champagne yeast like the guys making sours and Flanders red and Brett beers that sit for a year. Or keg and use a beer gun :)

Back