Bottling a Beer at gravity of 1.014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jckrenrut

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently brewed my first beer, a Russian River Bling Pig IPA clone. My S.G. was 1.072, which was about 10 points higher than the high range of the S.G. that the recipe listed. I didn't think much of it. After a week in primary I tested the gravity again and it was at 1.014. I added the oak and hops per the recipe. A week later I went to bottle and the gravity was still 1.014. Not thinking much of it I added the bottling sugar from the recipe pack, and bottled the batch.

In hindsight, I'm thinking it may not ever really carbonate and instead I'm going to end up with a sweet IPA (not sweet as in cool, sweet as in sweet). Sweet meads are in the 1.020 range; I tasted this stuff, its definitely noticeably sweet. So 2 questions:

1) Will I ever get carbonated regular beer from the bottles and
2) Did I create bottle bombs because there are so much fermentable sugars still available to the brew?

Thanks in advance for any help.

What Pkrd said. 1.014 is not that unusual for an FG, especially when your OG was that high. You may have to wait a while for it to carbonate, though. The yeast that is left is probably tired and not all that healthy. But just give it a few weeks.

I did a chocolate oatmeal stout this spring that was 1.025 FG. As long as you got consecutive stable gravities at fermenting temperatures, I wouldn't worry.

A 70 IBU beer, FG of 1.014 and it is sweet?

I doubt you'll have problems carbonating, and with a stable gravity you shouldn't have bottle bombs.

I am thinking it is still too young, and that's what you're tasting.

In my experience, IPAs do need some age, they're like a wine, they top out in wonderfulness, then fade rather quickly.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. Guess it's just patience from here. I'll report back in another week or so.

The taste of these bottles has increased significantly, however the carbonation is still a bit sluggish. At 2 weeks out, I get a bit of a PSHT when I crack one open, but upon pouring into a pint glass it quickly loses most of the carbonation. Actually if I leave it in the bottle it's got much better mouth feel.

I'm headed out of town for 2 weeks in the next few days, so that should make the waiting a little easier at least. We'll see how it tastes when I get back.

Beers with higher OG's can take a bit longer to carbonate. I would give them another week. You might be surprised at how much difference a week in the bottle can make.

Back