Bottling 2nd batch tomorrow...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
a Brewer's Best Robust Porter.

This is the one I screwed up and left out the de-bittered chocolate malt, which I later added after running through my coffee maker.

Gravity has been steady for 3 days and the beer tastes pretty decent. THe thing is, the gravity is steady at 1.011 @ ~70°. OG was around 1.052 ~60° F, but that was before I topped off with the de-bittered run. That calcs out to about 5.3% ABV if I am figgerin correctly.

Does a higher than expected FG mean anything, really? I'm just going to bottle it and drink it; like I said it tastes OK.

Any thoughts/advice? Besides don't leave out ingredients?

Leave it. PART of what you're doing in the fermenter is letting the yeast turn sugars into alcohol. But an equally important part of what you're doing is letting the malt flavors coalesce. Since you added some of the malt later on, give the wort a correspondingly longer period of time to mellow.

Agreed - let it sit. Porters especially, since they have roasty flavors, usually need time to come into their own. Let it sit in the fermenter for a few more weeks before you bottle.

Higher than expected FG can mean something - it depends on what kind of beer you're going for. Usually lower FG's mean dryer beers and higher FG's mean sweeter beers. 1.011 should produce a tasty porter!

What is the recipes expected FG? cuz 1.011 sounds right to me for a porter. really wouldn't wanna go much drier IMO.

Agreed - let it sit. Porters especially, since they have roasty flavors, usually need time to come into their own. Let it sit in the fermenter for a few more weeks before you bottle.

Good to know.

Besides, I don't have a choice but to leave it for awhile. I found out today that I have a "significant" pneumonia in my left lung, and the doctor has forbidden me any activity other than watching TV or sleeping until Monday.

998653.jpg

Back