Bottling 24 hours after priming.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birrus

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have read related posts but haven't found the answer to this particular question. My capper broke yesterday while bottling a batch with 32 bottles still left uncapped (will have two cappers at home from now on). I left the beer in the bottles and covered them the best I could, hoping to finish the job today once I pick up a new capper after work @ my LHBS. According to other posts I've read about broken cappers, the general advise is to wait for the yeast to consume the priming sugar, and then re-prime; but I would hate to wait that long risking oxidation, or worse, that some nasties find their way into my beer. All in all, a full day will have passed by the time those bottles are capped, from the moment I added the priming sugar. Will the yeast have eaten all the priming sugar in that time? Or 24 hours are not enough for that to happen? Any thoughts?

Well, in case anybody is interested, the beer carbonated just fine. I bought the capper and finished the job 24 hours after adding the priming sugar. Apparently there's plenty still for the yeast to eat after this time. Thank you.
Cool. Any noticeable difference between the original and late bottled beers? Head height or total bubbles visible.

Since nobody answered your original post, I take it that nobody had a good answer - I certainly wouldn't have known. At least not until seeing your results. That's really good to know - thanks for posting.

Cool. Any noticeable difference between the original and late bottled beers? Head height or total bubbles visible.
I didn't notice any difference whatsoever between the original and the late capped batches. I have to say though I just tried a couple of random bottles from each batch to test carbonation levels, and didn't do a side by side comparison, but they were identical in my opinion. Thank you.

Back