Bottling 2 batches - Sanitize twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
This weekend I'll be bottling 2 batches: a Oatmeal Stout I've been dialing in & a Magic Hat #9 clone..

Question I have is: Should I sanitize my bottling equipment twice, or just do it once, then commence with bottling both beers? Or, sanitize before each beer independently?

What do you do in this case?

Thanks!

I would sanitize between beers. Only because you don't want flavors from the other beer getting in. And, just to be safe.

I would always recommend sanitizing between batches, even if you're bottling them back to back. It's better to be safe than sorry. Although your first batch may not be infected at all, why risk infecting your second batch as well!

I also agree that you should wash, resanitize between batches.

Also, did you know they brewed Magic Hat #9 on Jamil's "Can you brew it?" podcast? I believe they came really close (also because the Magic Hat's head brewer pretty much gave them the recipe!)...so you might want to check that out for ideas on your clones.

Good luck!

Treat it as though you were bottling a week apart.

Does that mean he should pack up and stow away his equipment between bottling batches, too? :p

Other than that, I agree with the others. Sanitize in between batches. The first batch could have an infection, more attenuative yeast strain, etc. No point risking a batch to save the 10 minutes it would take to rinse and sanitize the gear.

Also, did you know they brewed Magic Hat #9 on Jamil's "Can you brew it?" podcast? I believe they came really close (also because the Magic Hat's head brewer pretty much gave them the recipe!)...so you might want to check that out for ideas on your clones.

Good luck!

Yeah - We listened to that show twice before we brewed. Hopefully all will be well!

I really believe that the answer to these types of questions is when in doubt, sanitize, when not in doubt, sanitize...in other words, sanitize.

It's the same with yeast starters for liquid yeast, don't wonder if you should, don't post asking if you should, pull a "nike" and just do it. :D

Back