Bottling 13% abv beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I brewed a triple 13 abv two months ago looking to bottle it tonite. Was going to add some yeast at bottling but I don't have a belgian strain on hand. Maybe I don't even need to add yeast since it hasn't been secondaring too long. I do have US-05 and s-04 on hand but would rather use a belgian strain or nothing at all. Do you think there is enough yeast still in suspension to carb the beer. I'm also not in a hurry to carb it. Just don't want it to never carb

I'd be worried about the alcohol tolerance of most of those strains. Most beer yeasts (Belgian strains included) seem to cap around 12%, and a number of them lower than that. If I were you, I would use champagne yeast.

Do you think there's still enough yeast in suspension to carb or do you think the yeast are pretty beat by now.

The yeast are beat. I've used champagne yeast with good results. About 1/3 of a package for 5 gals.

Champagne it is. Never crossed my mind to use it. I just assumed belgian yeasts were higher tolerant. Never research the high end of it

I normally use EC1118 when I bottle high Abv beers after being in secondary for a while. It's worked great until I bottled a 14.7% stout. That one didn't carb.

Back