Bottling 1 year old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey yall,
Getting back into it after a near year long hiatus. Firstly, I'm wanting to bottle a cream ale I've had in the primary for 325 days lol. I imagine all the yeast is dead . I bought a packet of us-05. Should I add a tiny bit of yeast to each bottle or to the bottling bucket? I know it may not be good at this point but I would like to see how it turns out.

Thanks!

No I kinda want the surprise haha. Plus I'm fasting so I can't really taste any atm.

I would definitely take a taste before going through the trouble of bottling, especially if it’s a 5+ gallon batch. If it’s been in a plastic bucket that long, I would suspect severe oxidation and a poor tasting product, especially since it’s a cream ale. There won’t be much there to hide any off flavors.
It should be wicked clear by now however.

I would definitely take a taste before going through the trouble of bottling, especially if it’s a 5+ gallon batch. If it’s been in a plastic bucket that long, I would suspect severe oxidation and a poor tasting product, especially since it’s a cream ale. There won’t be much there to hide any off flavors.

Agreed. Bottling is a lot of work for a beer that is likely not very good anymore.

I bottled a 6 packs worth just out of curiosity of the brew. I have a stainless steel fermenter but it wasn't enough. It was supposed to be a cream ale but it was oxidized into looking like a brown ale.

Agreed. Bottling is a lot of work for a beer that is likely not very good anymore.
It was a cream ale looks like a brown ale now. I'm pretty strict on my fast so I didn't try any before I bottled couple. Plus I needed the fermenter for a brew. Fingers crossed

i'd guess acetobacter, would have made malt vinegar by now? if so, could be good on potato chips or french fries!

Since you're fasting, maybe you could enlist a couple friends to taste-test the beers you've bottled so far?

The beer turning that dark is likely a sign of extreme oxidation. But, you never know until you or someone else tries it.

Back